Monday, December 6, 2010

An early Auld Lang Syne...and some good music for pre-Christmas

Peter, Paul and Mary at the Westbury Music Fair, 2006 (Wiki Commons)
I could easily wonder why memories are coming to me thick and fast just now, unaccountably at the start of the Christmas season. Auld lang syne is more than three weeks off; first there is the giving and the getting to get through. Still…

Perhaps it is serendipity, running down the YouTubes some of my friends post on Facebook, and taking side trips allied to what they’ve posted. Maybe that’s how I got to Peter, Paul & Mary singing The Rising of the Moon on the BBC in 1966.

PP&M gave the first really big concert I had ever seen. It was in October 1965, at the Westbury Music Fair, right before I left for college. (Oddly enough, our fall semester began about October 28, some weird arrangement with the Ford Foundation so that people could attend three full semesters a year and finish a four-year degree in under three years if they wanted to. I didn’t want to. I wanted to whole college experience. What I got, of course, since our spring semester ended mid-June after everyone else had been home for a month, was a hell of a time finding a summer job. But I digress.)

Anyway, to bring it all back to Christmas, the first or second year I was living in Bristol, Tennessee (as totally unaccountable as anything in a long and unaccountable life), I saw a TV special listed in TV Guide that I could actually receive with the rabbit ears on my TV. I was too broke to spring for cable. The program was on PBS, and it was Peter, Paul & Mary, a whole hour of them singing Christmas songs.

It was magical.  I had no reason to get anything like the warm fuzzies at that time in my life, but that program entranced me, and gave me a kick start I probably badly needed to feel the least bit festive. I was hundreds of miles from people I loved
my mother, stepfather, brother, sister-in-law, nephew. I was in a very strange land, a land where one could forget one’s purse in a Burger King and have it returned two hours later, intact. Totally intact. And the teenager who found it would refuse a reward.

It was a nice land, but a very strange land. A local farmer ran lights around his pig sty, which made me laugh. Another one made a lighted cross out of his metal clothesline pole (I admit, that one made me gag).

I was invited, that Christmas (so it must have been the second one during my Tennessee tenure, because I spent the first in Florida with my mother) to a friend’s family Christmas dinner. Cathy’s family was big, close, and rural. Teetotaling. They were totally unlike any people I had ever, in my New York life, experienced for a New York minute. But her parents, Meme and George, “adopted” me. I never felt a stranger when I was with them, any or all of them. They treated me as family. That year, Meme had asked Cathy what I might like or need for Christmas, and the answer was slippers. I had, it is true, been wearing flipflops because paying for my horse was costly, and some things just didn’t fit the budget. In less than a New York minute, I loved Meme and Georgenow departed, long since departed in fact. I’ve lost touch with their daughter; perhaps that will come round again.

Life just goes round, though. So here I sit in Cornwall, England, my dog at my feet, my beloved horse 3,000 miles away in the very region I have been speaking of, my husband (a thing I once swore I would never have one of again, thank you very much, until I met Simon) in a room down the hall doing whatever magic he does with high-tech telecom inventions and such. And I still love PP&M. I lamented the loss of Mary some while back. Odetta somewhat later. Incredible singers of my youth, replaced more recently by Hayley Westenra and Celtic Woman.

Here’s an offering from PP&M. Nominally a Halloween song, I’ve always thought of it as a Christmastime tune. The more I listen to it, the more it seems to have Druid overtones, perfectly suitable for Yule.



Slainte!


No comments:

Post a Comment